Monday, January 10, 2011

~SPRING CLEANING~

Was browsing my blog and found that some posts were just OTT. #$%^&*! What was I thinking? Yikes!!! Embarrassing to view & realize that probably a 10 year old is a much better writer than I am. Sighhh... So, the major questions are a) how do we improve on our writing? b) What are the tips and strategies in making your writing a masterpiece (well... even if it's only for your eyes... ;p ).

Browsing, browsing & brows-sing... I found this article on "How to improve your English writing in 5 minutes" (http://www.antimoon.com). Wahhhh... I am impressed! Yipee... There is a solution to my dilemma after all. I can forever banish my oh-so-not-posh of writing skills and now become J.K. Rowling (the second or was it the third??? hmmm...) in a matter of 5 MINUTES...

The article gave an example of 'Michal's story', first written in an ugly way and then voila... transformed the same piece into the perfect version. Basically, the article stated that you can prevent yourself from writing ugly if you practice these steps:

a) Be careful with spacing & capitalization (ehh??? Ok... moving on to the next step).

b) Your "You" & "I" (knot help if i need 2 text 8ter - Dang! Is that the way people text nowadays???? Pening! Help!)

c) After every comma and every period, there must be a space in it (I was like... Really??? Really really??? You sure bout that? I tot it was auto-pilot to have spaces or more in your writing).

And lastly (moi favourite!!!)

d) Use the "Spellchecker" (works wonders every time... haha)

Jokes aside, I think it was a good attempt that this site highlighted these steps in improving your writing. I personally think that when it comes to this, there is no shortcut. Life may be on the fast lane (fast food, fast this and fast that) but there are still some things you cannot 'fast' them. :)

Still, my journey towards discovering the steps & skills in better writing continues... i will make sure u & i will x zzz 2nite cos we hv work 2do. (aaarrrggghhh... brain freezes a bit after writing that short text!)

P/s: Some of you might think that 'this' writer is kinda stuck-up with her comments on people writing short text especially through sms but due to her position as an 'educator' or 'sigu', she really cannot tolerate bad writing (though she herself made a lot of grammar, etc miostakes -see... told ya! ;P)

No comments: